Tuesday 13 January 2015

So what does an Architect do?


The title Architect is the subject of some debate, whether it be about the misuse of the title within the profession, or the hijacking of the title in its entirety by the IT industry, usually with the prefix Enterprise, Solutions, or any number of IT related titles, or whether it is about feeling undervalued by clients based on the perception that nobody understands what an Architect does. For example, project management, part of the administrative function of being an Architect, is undertaken by construction professionals from any number of backgrounds, from plumbing to quantity surveying, I have worked with some extremely good project managers, I have also worked with a number that have made me think I could do a far better job myself. In some cases I have found myself actually doing the project management work whist someone else has the title.

There are also titles that pigeonhole us: Concept Architect, Technical Architect, Interior Architect, Project Architect, Site Architect, Consultant Architect, Chief Architect, Principal Architect, Senior Architect, Junior Architect, Lead Architect...and so on, it seems that the title Architect is not enough to describe what we do. In my career to date since qualification my titles have varied: Project Architect, Associate, Project Manager, Senior Architect, Lead Designer, Senior Urban Designer, Chief Architect, Lead Urban Designer. I have assumed the role of team leader on many occasions, been heavily involved in associated disciplines of Urban Design, Masterplanning , Landscape Architecture, so what does an architect do? Well actually, all of the above, and more. Drawing, model making, report writing, marketing, public speaking, the list is kind of endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment